Saturday 11 August 2018

REVIEW: Sephora Collection Sleeping Mask


I don't know about you, but I love scrolling through my Snapchat's discover page to see and read my subscriptions like DailyMail, Tastemade, Refinery29 etc. I was randomly reading a thread from Buzzfeed about cheap skin care products. 
>> Here is Buzzfeed's post about it! <<  

As I was scrolling through the post, I ran into this one and was easily intrigued because for some reason I thought that the picture looked like an array of chicken nugget dipping sauces.
  

 I *used* to enjoy putting on sheet masks, but I think that it's super messy and a waste because it's a one time use product. If you've read my previous post, you would know that I am trying to be good to the environment by reducing, reusing, and recycling, therefore sheet masks aren't the best since it is a disposable product because it is made for a one time application. 

This dilemma of my love for sheet masks but my dislike for one-time use and messy products is saved by the Sephora Collection Sleeping Mask. What's super cool about this product is that you apply it onto your face at night, and just as the name suggests, it's a mask that you sleep with. Sheet masks don't allow you to sleep with it over night, but the Sephora sleeping masks do! 


The types of masks I picked up from Sephora are:
 Pearl - "Evens and minimize irregularities for skin tone that is even, fresher, and brighter"
Green Tea - "Absorbs excess sebum and purifies for a matte, clean complexion" 
Pomegranate - "Awakens and tones the skin while reducing signs of fatigue for a revitalized look"
Aloe Vera - "Instantly hydrates and refreshes the skin to give an appearance of plumpness for skin that is moisturized and look denser in the morning" 


 For this review, I thought that it would be relevant to try out the pomegranate one because I've been cooped up studying almost every night for my final exams.


This mask is enriched with natural pomegranate fruit extract and claims to reduce the signs of fatigue, as well as awaken and tone the skin. As a result, the goal of the mask is to give in the skin a plumper, energetic and more radiant glow. 


In all honesty, I didn't do a lot of research on this mask before purchasing, so I was expecting the consistency of the mask to be creamy. The product has a gelatinous consistency and almost reminds me of Jell-o or even hair gel to be more accurate. 

The suggested directions say to apply a layer onto clean dry skin in the evening before bed to let it work overnight. If there is excess product, it suggests to wash it off. Also, a small dollop of the mask creates a thin layer goes a long way and I'm sure that if you have more product, you could put the container in a tightly sealed baggie for future use. 


Despite its gel consistency, the product applies smoothly. The mask also has a tint to it, so I assumed that like charcoal/cucumber masks, it would make my face the same colour as well. To my surprise, the mask applies clear. It was super sticky at first, but it was fine after the product set onto my face. There was no residue on my pillows and blankets, and I didn't end up washing the product from my face the morning after.  


My final verdict

Scent/5 - A solid 3 because it claims to have a pomegranate scent since the product is extracted from pomegranate juice. My scent receptors picked up more of a florally scent. However, the scent is very subtle and not overpowering and does not affect the product's purpose.  

Product Quantity/5 - Sheet masks are meant for a one time use. From reading other peoples' reviews on this sleeping mask, the amount of product is enough for up to 3 times. I've noticed that I still have a good amount of gelatinous goodness left in my pod. 

Price/5 - The Sephora sleeping masks are only $5 CAD which is around the same price of sheet masks. The Sephora face masks go for around $8, which is a tad bit more, but if you were to visit the drug store or Asian beauty stores they would be around the same, more or less. Although the price isn't too bad, I wish that they did bundle deals! 

Formula/5 - The list of ingredients for this product are listed on the Sephora website and on the packaging shown in one of the pictures above. Correct me if I'm wrong, but because this product is made in China, I believe that it is not cruelty-free. 

If you have super sensitive skin, I recommend that you to a quick patch test before applying it to your face.

The consistency of the mask is gelatinous and applies onto the skin smoothly. I was scared of the product being too sticky when I put it on and when I woke up in the morning, but just as the reviewer from the Buzzfeed post says, it is definitely a "no muss, no fuss" product.  

Overall/5 - Would I recommend this product? Yes, but just to try it out. It's a wonderful alternative to one time use sheet masks because it's contains enough product for more than one use! It's also perfect for travelling as well. 

Does it even work? Sorta! I didn't notice that my skin got more "energetic" or "radiant", but I definitely felt somewhat rejuvenated despite being sick.

Lots of love, Kathleen  


 Follow me on Instagram! @amxres 

No comments:

Post a Comment