Saturday 4 August 2018

DIY Backless Bra

Hello all! 


I don't know about you, but because I have a chest on the larger side, I absolutely hate wearing pasties or silicone bras for when I want to wear a backless top. Therefore, today I want to share a little DIY or hack with you all that is a great way to repurpose your old bras and it friendly for all those with a bigger bust.


I actually purchased this bra fairly recently, but it broke and I didn't want to patch it up, so I decided to repurpose it and make it into a backless bra. It's fairly easy to transform an old bra into this backless bra. 


The tools and materials that you will need for this DIY are: 
♡ An old bra (or new if you find a really cheap one!) or broken bra
♡ Needle
♡ Thread that is the same or similar colour to your bra
♡ Fabric Scissors
♡ Tiny scissors or seam ripper
♡ Optional: A lighter (I will explain later)


1. The first step is to cut the wing of the bra along the bottom of the bra's underwire.  


 2. After you cut off the wing of the bra, you want to take your mini scissors or seam ripper and detach the strap ring from the wing.  

3. This is what your bra will look like when you cut off the wing and remove the strap ring from the bra's wing. 

3a. This one is an optional step, but if your bra is the same as mine where there is that small extra piece of elastic that attaches the strap ring to the wing, I recommend that you remove it with a seam ripper or the mini scissors. The little elastic will help the ring attach to the bra. 

Do not fret if your bra doesn't have this, the DIY will still work the same and the bra will still be functional.  

3b. Elastic tends to fray, so this is where the lighter comes in handy. If you are a bit younger, I advise you to have an adult help you with this step. Grab the lighter and run the elastic quickly through the flame. You want to run it through the flame quickly because you don't want it to burn or catch on fire.  

 Just like magic, the elastic will not be frayed. Doing this also doubles up as a seal so that the elastic is less likely to fray again. 

4. Take the strap ring (an small elastic piece) and place it to the end of the bra's outer underwire. This area is where your armpit is when you wear the bra.  


5. The next step is to sew the strap ring (or small elastic piece) to the desired spot with a needle and thread that is the same colour as your bra. Sew along the outer edge where the underwire is and inside as well. Don't forget to double knot your thread so that the strap stays intact. 

 6. Repeat the steps to the other side and you should end with something like this! 

I had a lot of fun deconstructing my bra and making this post! If you want to see what it looks like with a backless top, please leave a comment and I will make sure to concoct an outfit for a future post.

 For all the frugal people that don't want to spend loads of money on a backless bra and people that ripped their bra like myself and want to repurpose it, I hope that this DIY was helpful!  

I hope that you have a happy long weekend!! 

Lots of love, Kathleen  


 Follow me on Instagram! @amxres 


No comments:

Post a Comment